Xavier Catholic Church extension

Opening of St Francis Xavier Catholic Church extension – 14th February 1932

St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church was opened on 11th September 1898 on land donated by Rody Cruice in Laceys Creek Road.  That section of road has now been included in McKenzie Street.  The builder was John Bond.  The building, which was clear of debt, cost about £150.  It was 30ft long by 20ft wide, with a vestry at the back.   The church is still located on its original site.  It has had a couple of extensions over the years.  The Moreton Mail of 19th February 1932 reported “…After mass at the Dayboro Roman Catholic Church of February 14, a large number of visitors were entertained by the parishioners at the blessing of the improvements of the Church.  The blessing was performed by Rev. Father O’Callaghan…”