Williams Street, Dayboro – late 1940s

Williams Street, Dayboro – late 1940s

Williams Street, Dayboro – late 1940s

The pace was a little more leisurely back then. The vehicle is being driven by Ian Rennie (Blue) Johnston who later married Helene Anderson, the young lady on the right. Helene’s brother Normie is the fellow with the hat.
The buildings that can be seen in the background are of particular interest. It was known that the building which is now occupied by Mill Creek Café had been a chemist shop in the 1930s and 1940s. This photograph leaves no doubt about the location of the original Chemist shop. The first chemist, William Ellis Thomas, opened his business around the end of 1935 or early 1936 as the Courier Mail of 15th June 1937 reported that he had sold his chemist business, which he had conducted for 18 months, to George Hourston of Brisbane.
The buildings on the left are the Dayboro Garage which at that time would have been operated by Wally O’Hara. The Dayboro Butchery is next and beside it is the Dayboro Bakery which was built about 1935. On looking more closely at the photograph it was found that the upper level had not been built on the Bakery at that stage but it does appear in a photograph taken a short time later.