Williams Street between 1920 and 26th May 1924

Williams Street between 1920 and 26th May 1924

Williams Street between 1920 and 26th May 1924

There is only one building in this photograph that is still in existence today and that is “Dayboro Cottage” 27 Williams Street where Dayboro District Historical Society Inc. runs the Dayboro Information Centre. It is the small cottage, 3rd building on the right.
The reason for dating the photograph between 1920 and 26th May 1924 is the railway came to Dayboro in 1920, being opened on 26th September. The “LOOK OUT FOR TRAINS” sign can be seen on the right and the house that was to become the Stationmaster’s residence has been relocated from the left side of the street to the right. On looking at the photograph closely it can be seen that the actual railway lines have not yet been laid across the street.
Silverwood Store can be seen front left, with a modern car parked outside the Store and a gentleman getting out of, or into, his driving dustcoat. This building was destroyed by fire on 26th May 1924. The cottages on the left were owned by the Silverwood Dairy Factory Company Limited.
The first building on the right is the Dayboro Sawmill with logs almost spilling out on to the street. The next building was to become the Stationmaster’s residence and next to that is “Dayboro Cottage”. The identical cottage next door can just be seen. The large Queenslander house, the small store and the Excelsior Hall were all owned by John Warburton Snr. who died on 9th May 1930. They were purchased by Charles Scanlan Snr. in April 1932. The hall and store were destroyed by fire on 21st September 1936. The house was removed in the mid-1990s. The building that can be seen beyond the hall is the Blacksmith shop in McKenzie Street which was sold by Ferdinand Schmidt to Herbert Charles Witte on 1st February 1921.