The final stage of the railway from Enoggera to Dayboro, which became known as the “Dayboro Line”, was officially opened 100 years ago on 25th September 1920.
A public meeting of the settlers at Hamilton, Upper North Pine was held on 23rd September 1882 to discuss several proposed routes for a railway. Several routes were proposed and in 1915 construction from Enoggera to Rifle Range (Gaythorne) began with that section being opened in February 1916. Due to war shortages work did not recommence until 1917 with Samford opening on 29th June 1918, Samsonvale on 3rd March 1919, Kobble on 3rd November 1919 and the line finally terminating at Dayboro on 25September 1920.
The trains were mixed trains carrying both passengers and freight. Railmotor services were introduced in 1931. Due to the decline in passengers, and the increase in use of motor transport, the Dayboro Line was closed on 1 July 1955, having operated for a total period of 34 years 8 months. The time that had elapsed from the public meeting of the settlers in 1882 until the actual completion of the line was 37 years 11 months with the town having three name changes in that time.