It seems hard to believe that it was 12 months on 3rd September 2019 from when the Dayboro butcher shop changed hands with Scott Heathwood having owned it for the previous 20 years. It also seems hard to believe that there has been a butcher shop on this block of land since about 1908 when Cruice Bros. moved their butchery business from the family farm into the township. The business was then operated from a small timber building near the present-day building which was built by Ted Long in the mid-1930s.
Harold Carter’s bakery was built next door around the same time. A bakery was operated on this site until the early to mid-1990s when the present-day Dayboro Bakery was built.
The milk carriers did far more than carry the cans of milk to the factory and return the empty cans to the farms. The carrier would wipe dry one of the farmer’s cans to put in the mail and papers and other supplies if they would fit. The farmers would order their meat and bread by tying a note around a sugar bag with a piece of string. The carrier would drop these off on his way to the factory and pick up the orders on his return. The wire-netting screens on the front of the butcher’s shop were not for security purposes. The made up orders would be dropped behind them for the milk carriers to collect. The milk trucks were also used as the “school buses” with the children sitting in the back of the truck amongst the cans.