This photograph was taken between late 1908 and 1913. The new Orange Hall in the foreground was opened on 31st December 1908. There is a shed to the right where the police station was built in 1916. Charles Adsett’s blacksmith is to the left partly obscured by trees. Down the hill a little are Battershill’s stables. The house was built for one of the Riek Bros. about 1903. The present-day Post Office was attached to this house in 1936. The next building was built as Riek Bros. store about 1900. The E.S. & A. bank was established in this building in 1912. Beside it can be seen the roof of a worker’s cottage built by the Silverwood Dairy Factory Co. Ltd. about 1905. This building is now occupied by The Old Storehouse. The other buildings on the right are all part of the Silverwood Butter Factory complex.
The large building on the left side of the road is the Excelsior Hall which was moved into town by John Warburton sometime in 1908. Its origins are unknown. In later years the hall was moved forward to footpath level and a large house built beside it. The Excelsior Hall was destroyed by fire in 1936. The three workmen’s cottages built by the owner of the Terrors Creek Sawmill in 1900 are next. “Dayboro Cottage” is the middle one. The other buildings on the left are all part of the sawmill complex.
The reason for the end date of 1913 is the present-day Crown Hotel, built in 1913, cannot be seen in this photo.