The Brisbane Courier of 20th April 1900 reported “…The settlement at Berry’s Flat, Upper North Pine, is going ahead rapidly. There is now quite a little township, including two blacksmiths, a saw-mill, a hotel, two stores and a well-patronised creamery. The land for miles around is very rich, both for grazing and cultivation purposes.
Berry’s Flat was never an official name. Upper North Pine refers to the whole district, particularly the Mt Pleasant area, as we were up the North Pine River. Petrie was called North Pine until 1911. Strathpine was located between the North and South Pine Rivers.
All of the businesses mentioned can be seen in this photo from abt. 1901. The creamery is on the bank of Terrors Creek. The building has been extended and is now occupied by Silverwood Cafe. The sawmill is to the right. The manager’s residence and the three workmen’s cottages can be seen. Riek Bros. store is in the middle. It had three extensions over time and was our bank for many years. Charles Adsett’s blacksmith at the corner of what is now Williams and Bradley Streets is mostly obscured by a tree. The original Crown Hotel and its attached store can be seen above Riek Bros. store and Skerman Bros. Blacksmith is further to the right.