St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church

St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church c. 1917

St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church c. 1917

St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church was opened on 11th September 1898 on land donated by Rody Cruice. The builder was John Bond. The Brisbane Courier of 13th September 1898 records “…the opening of a new Roman Catholic Church at Upper North Pine… In spite of the wet weather, the opening ceremony was performed on Sunday morning by the Rev. Father Ryan and other priests…The building is quite clear of debt, a consummation due chiefly to the amount subscribed at the opening. The building is of the best timber, and is about 30ft long by about 20ft wide, with a vestry at the back. The cost of the church was about £150. After the opening ceremony a most enjoyable dinner, provided by Mrs. Clune, was partaken of by those present…”
The first baby to be baptised in St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church was John Bond’s son, Bertram Sheehan Bond, who was baptised on 16th October 1898. The Church was extended in 1903. The early priests came from the Caboolture Parish and rode over the mountain on horseback to celebrate mass.