Silverwood Store c. 1908

Silverwood Store c. 1908

In 1906 the Silverwood Dairy Factory Co. Ltd. opened a store on the block of land adjacent to their Terrors Creek Butter Factory which had opened on 14th September 1903. In 1907 the Post Office was moved from the store attached to the Crown Hotel to Silverwood Store with David Pfrunder, manager of the factory and store, becoming the Post Master.
When the Terrors Creek-Samsonvale Co-operative Dairy Factory Company was formed in 1916 to purchase the butter factory, the store was not part of the purchase. Silverwood Dairy Factory Co. Ltd. retained ownership, with the store being run by a number of lessees, until the store and adjacent residence were destroyed by fire on 26th May 1924. At that time J. Sabine & Co was the proprietor and the business still included the local Post Office. The contents of the Post Office safe were recovered and the books and accounts were satisfactory. The Silverwood Company did not intend re-erecting the buildings.
The store was on the site of the present-day Puma Service Station.