In 1906 the Silverwood Dairy Factory Co. Ltd. opened a general store on the block of land adjacent to the butter factory which was opened in September 1903. A large residence was also built which was occupied by David Pfrunder who was manager of both the factory and store. The Post Office was in a room adjoining the store to the left. David Pfrunder also became the Post Master.
The lady in the photo is Mary Ann Dobbin (later Hall). The shop assistants are probably William Joseph Clegg (left) and Richard Gordon (Dick) O’Neill (right). The horse drawn “vehicles” are Harry Glover’s cream wagon (left front), Wirth’s sulky (right front) and Lindenberg’s banana wagon. There is another wagon left rear but only the horses can be seen. The store and residence were completely destroyed by fire on 26th May 1924 which broke out at 2am. The contents of the Post Office safe were recovered and the books and accounts were satisfactory according to the Postal Inspector.