Robert & Sophie Vellnagel’s Residence

Robert & Sophie Vellnagel’s Residence –  now Dayboro Medical Centre – 7 McKenzie Street

Robert & Sophie Vellnagel’s Residence –
now Dayboro Medical Centre – 7 McKenzie Street

A house and adjacent store were built for Robert (Bob) Vellnagel by his brother-in-law Fred Hacker and in mid-1912 the family moved from Laceys Creek where they had been farming and took up residence in the town with older members of the family assisting Bob in the running of his General Store. By mid-1918 they had relocated to the Jandowae district and Bob was again a farmer.
Ownership records are very hazy although it is believed that the property was acquired by the Silverwood Dairy Factory Company Limited. The property was subdivided with the store on one block and the house on another. The detached kitchen at the side of the house was moved to the rear of the house (and it always leaked when it rained).
After the Vellnagels left Dayboro the house became a guest house and was often referred to as “the Factory Guest House” with some of the people staying there being employees of the Butter Factory. The house property was eventually transferred into the name of the Dayboro Co-Op. It is known that a couple of young local girls worked there in the 1930s making sandwiches and performing other domestic duties. By the 1960s it was no longer a guest house but was divided into a couple of “flats” occupied by quite a number of people over the years. From the mid-1960s to the end of 1972 it was occupied by the Ackery family. It did not become the local doctor’s surgery until sometime in the 1980s.
It is believed that Dr. David Brand opened his medical practice in Dayboro in 1977 in the small building next to the Dayboro Uniting Church. He was still practicing in that building in December 1983. He also had a practice at Petrie. In about 1985 he was joined in his practice by Dr. David Sawdon although it is not known whether that was in Williams Street or McKenzie Street. After a time Dr. David Brand took over the Petrie practice and Dr. David Sawdon took over the Dayboro practice. It is not known at this stage when Dr. Sawdon purchased the building.
Dr. David Brand was President of the Dayboro Apex Club when it formed in February 1978. From 1996 to 1998 Dr. David Brand was Vice-President of the Australian Medical Association and was President from 1998 to 2000.