In February 1922 tenders were called for the construction of an Ambulance Centre and separate residence on a block of land (now 58 McKenzie Street) recently acquired by the Dayboro Q.A.T.B. Advisory Committee. The tender of James Strain was accepted and the new centre was opened on 5 June 1922.
These buildings served as the Ambulance Centre and Superintendent’s residence until December 1987. Over the years several alterations and improvements were carried out.
The Ambulance Centre building was also used for other purposes. It provided a meeting room for other community organisations. Silent movies were shown to the schoolchildren in the early 1950s – Charlie Chaplin springs to mind. Slide evenings and regular card evenings were held.
The property was purchased by the Education Department. The Centre building was demolished a few years ago due to white ant infestation and the residence is currently used by Dayboro Outside School Hours Care – still being used by the community.