Opening of St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church

Opening of St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church – 11th September 1898

Opening of St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church – 11th September 1898

St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church was opened on 11th September 1898 on land donated by Rody Cruice. The builder was John Bond. The Brisbane Courier of 13th September 1898 reported “…the opening of a new Roman Catholic Church at Upper North Pine… The building is quite clear of debt, a consummation due chiefly to the amount subscribed at the opening. The building is of the best timber, and is about 30ft long by about 20ft wide, with a vestry at the back. The cost of the church was about £150. After the opening ceremony a most enjoyable dinner, provided by Mrs. Clune, was partaken of by those present…”
The early priests came from the Caboolture Parish and rode over the mountain on horseback to celebrate mass. St. Francis Xavier’s is currently part of Our Lady of the Way Parish at Petrie.