Opening of Dayboro Railway – 25th September 1920

Opening of Dayboro Railway – 25th September 1920

Opening of Dayboro Railway – 25th September 1920

It was a long time coming but the railway to Dayboro was finally opened on 25th September 1920 by Mr. W. Bertram, Speaker of the Queensland Parliament.
A public meeting of the settlers at Hamilton, Upper North Pine was held on 23rd September 1882 to discuss several proposed routes for a railway. In February 1899, the branch line from Mayne to Enoggera was completed which encouraged residential development but was of little benefit to the farmers of Samford and Terrors Creek who continued agitation for a railway.
Construction to Rifle Range (Gaythorne) began in May 1915 being completed in February 1916. Because of war shortages work did not recommence until 1917 with Samford opening on 29th June 1918 and the line finally terminating at Dayboro on 25th September 1920.
Rail motor services were introduced in 1931. Excursion trains often came on weekends bringing picnic groups to Armstrong Creek. With the introduction of road transport, passengers and freight declined and the line was closed on 1st July 1955, having operated for a total period of 34 years 8 months. The time that had elapsed from the public meeting of the settlers in 1882 until the actual completion of the line was 38 years with the town having three name changes in that time.