Old Railway Bridge

Old Railway Bridge

1955 abt. Sept – After the flood

Only a couple of months after the closure of the Dayboro Railway on 1st July 1955, a flood eroded the northern bank of the North Pine River at Armstrong Creek changing the course of the river with the road bridge no longer spanning the river. The railway bridge, which was a much higher and longer bridge, then became the “temporary” road bridge. At that stage the railway lines had not been removed but that did happen later. It was the “temporary” bridge for almost 20 years with a new bridge being planned in 1974.
There were a number of mishaps on the rough narrow bridge and quite a few tales to tell of near mishaps as well.
The present-day John McKenzie Bridge was constructed just slightly upstream of the original road bridge.