The new Dayboro State School building was opened on its present site 100 years ago on 25th June 1920. The first school building was located in what is now Briscoe Road some distance from the town. That school building was falling into disrepair and the committee was lobbying for a new school to be built in a more central location in the town. The plan for the new building was approved on 14th September 1916 but things moved slowly. The Brisbane Courier of 20th November 1918 reported “…DAYBORO, November 19: The Minister for Education visited here on Saturday for the purpose of choosing a site for the new school. He promised the committee a new building, but left them to decide on the site.”
There was controversy over where the new site should be and it was not until January 1919 that the school committee finally decided that “Heathwood Hill” would be the best place for the new school.
One letter to the Brisbane Courier in March 1919 stated the cracks in the floor of the school were “large enough to drop a pen-knife through.” Another letter stated
“…This building has been shockingly neglected, and for years through senile decay been falling to pieces…” It was not until July 1919 that approval was finally given for the erection of a new state school at Dayboro a cost of £1086, almost three years after the approval of the plan.