New Dayboro State School Opening

New Dayboro State School Opening 25th June 1920

New Dayboro State School Opening 25th June 1920

By 1916 the “Hellhole” school building which had been constructed in 1877, was badly in need of repairs and had also become overcrowded with an average attendance of 60 pupils. A move was made to re-site the school to a more central location but the Education Department was reluctant to spend the money until the locals could agree on an appropriate site. It was decided by a vote of nine to five that the “Heathwood Hill” site would be the best place for the new school and on 28th January 1919 Mrs. A.M. Heathwood signed an agreement for the sale of 5 acres at £45 ($90) per acre. On 11th July 1919 approval was given for the erection of a new school on this site at a cost of £1086 ($2172).
Eventually the new building, measuring 31ft x 21ft (approx. 9.5m x 6.5m), was built and officially opened on 25th June 1920.
The teacher’s residence was shifted to the new school site, and later the same year the play shed was also shifted to the western side of the school, the cost of this being borne by the School Committee.
Unbelievably, the new school building was only slightly larger than the old 1877 building it was to replace, which had been 30ft x 18ft, and in 1924 a new room measuring 21ft x 16ft with an 8ft veranda on two sides was completed, more than doubling the size of the original building.
These buildings still form part of the present-day school complex.