McKenzie Street – early 1930s

McKenzie Street – early 1930s

McKenzie Street – early 1930s

A.J. McKenzie’s General Store was built by 1920. Andrew James McKenzie Snr. was born on 17th January 1867, the first white child born in our district. In 1925 the store was leased to George Pedler when the McKenzie family moved to Boulia. They returned to Dayboro in the early 1930s and Andy McKenzie Jnr. took over the store. Andy moved into his new store on the corner of McKenzie & Williams Streets in early 1937.
The building with the awning at the foot of the hill on the left is Kelly’s Store. The building beside it with the high pitched roof is the Billiard Saloon. That’s telephone poles on the right and the white posts are in front of the re-built St. Aidan’s Anglican Church. The small building almost opposite Kelly’s store is where the Dayboro Times and Moreton Mail newspaper was printed. Kelly’s Store was moved across to this building in 1949.
McKenzie and Cruice Streets are the Dayboro streets featured in the current The Streets We Live In exhibition at Pine Rivers Heritage Museum.