McKenzie Street, Dayboro – Early 1930s

 McKenzie Street, Dayboro - Early 1930s


McKenzie Street, Dayboro – Early 1930s

McKenzie Street in the early 1930s was not carrying a lot of motor vehicle traffic although wheel tracks can be seen in the unsealed surface.
The rider is Mary (Pixie) Pedler, oldest daughter of George and Annie Pedler who leased a store from A.J. McKenzie Snr. between May 1925 and March 1933. The store was located further up the hill on the left hand side of McKenzie Street just down from the Dayboro State School.
The first building on the left is F.A. Kelly’s Store – Grocers, Bakers and Newsagents. The bakery was located to the right of the store and set back from the road. There was a petrol bowser in front of the store. In 1949 Fred Kelly moved the store and newsagency across the street to a building on the corner of Delaney Road which used to house the printing presses for the Dayboro Times and Moreton Mail.
The higher pitched roof that can be seen to the right of Kelly’s Store was the billiard saloon and beside it was the blacksmiths.