Mansfield Bros. Store c. early 1920s

Mansfield Bros. Store c. early 1920s

Brothers Charles Arthur Mansfield and Walter George Mansfield took over the Silverwood Store in mid-1920 and had left by March 1922. The store was located on the site of present day Puma Service Station. 

The 1921 Pugh’s Almanac records Walter George Mansfield of Mansfield Bros. as Postmaster, Dayboro, the post office being located in a room adjoining the store. 

Margaret Struthers Mansfield was a sister of Andrew Cochrane, the first Stationmaster at Dayboro. Mansfield Bros. produced a 1921 calendar commemorating the opening of the Dayboro Railway on 25th September 1920.

Silverwood Dairy Factory Co. Ltd. retained ownership of the store building and adjacent residence which were destroyed by fire on 26th May 1924, causing telephone and telegraphic communication to be cut off as the post office located on the premises was also destroyed.  The proprietors at that time were John Sabine & Co. Nothing was saved.