The Queensland Government Gazette of 2nd June 1909 records the transfer of the Licence of the Crown Hotel, Terrors Creek from Alfred Augustus Warland(Michael Cruice’s great-grandfather) to Ernest Lacey. On 10th June 1909 Ernest Lacey was appointed Assistant District Registrar of Births and Deaths at Terrors Creek for the Registry District of Caboolture. He was a brother-in-law of James Kinkead Berry who built the hotel and store.
The Crown Hotel Licence was transferred from Ernest Lacey to John George Wilson on 1st March 1911.
Ernest Lacey was born on 8thJuly 1879 at Terrors Creek. He married Annie Elizabeth Bond on 1stMay 1906. They had three daughters but were later divorced. He saw service in both the Boer War and World War One. He was elected a Pine Shire Division Three Councillor on 14th February 1913 and remained a Councillor until his enlistment on 5th June 1916. He returned from overseas service on 19th April 1919 by which stage the family had moved to Tring Terrace, Nundah (later Toombul). He died on 15th September 1944 at Danbulla on the Atherton Tableland