The Brisbane Courier of 1st March 1919 reported:
“Bullock Charges a Motor Car
While a car driven by Mr. Kelly was proceeding along the Dayboro-Petrie road it was charged by a bullock owned by Messrs. Cruice Bros., butchers. The bullock dropped dead, but the car suffered little damage.” No photo unfortunately.
John Kelly may have owned the first motor vehicle in the district. The 1923 List of Motor Owners in Queensland records 23 people in the district owning motor vehicles. John Kelly’s Overland Registration No. 1840 was by far the earliest registration number of those in the district.
In June 1910 a 1acre block of land in McKenzie Street was registered in John Kelly’s name. He set up a bootmaker and bakery business in two small buildings and also built a large family home on this property. The business changed to Kelly Bros. in 1925 and in 1928 Fred Kelly took over the business. In 1949 the business was moved to the old printing shop on the corner of McKenzie Street and Delaney Road.