“Hay Cottage” Re-opening – 3rd August 2008

"Hay Cottage” Re-opening – 3rd August 2008

“Hay Cottage” Re-opening – 3rd August 2008

The building now known as “Hay Cottage” and situated in the Roderick A. Cruice Park in Williams Street, Dayboro is the oldest building in our district although it is not on its original site. It was built on property at Rush Creek for Mr. E.A.M. Goertz about 1871 and was occupied by his bailiff, Octavius Augustus Hall. The Rush Creek property was sold to Charles Hay in the 1890s.
The Hay property was one of the 105 properties resumed between 1967 and 1972 to make way for the construction of the North Pine Dam (now known as Lake Samsonvale). The cottage fell into a state of disrepair. It was relocated to its present site in 1989 and was opened as an Arts & Crafts shop on 15th January 1991.
The cottage originally had a shingle roof and this was replicated in its renovation. Over time that roof began to leak and in 2008 it was necessary to close the Cottage for a time to enable it to be re-roofed. Unfortunately a shingle roof was not an option.
“Hay Cottage” was re-opened on 3rd August 2008.