Hay Cottage on the move in 1989

Hay Cottage on the move in 1989

Hay Cottage on the move in 1989

About 1870 a worker’s cottage was built on property at Rush Creek owned by Ernest Goertz. The Proof of Fulfilment document dated 13th January 1872 stated Goertz’s Bailiff had resided on the property for a period of two years from January 3rd 1870. Improvements included “4 roomed house …ceiled and painted shingled, built of cedar and beech…”
On 13th April 1879 Charles Hay purchased an adjoining property from Ernest Goertz. It is not clear when Hay acquired the cottage property. Road resumptions appear to have caused amalgamation of some properties. Charles Hay and his wife Jane raised five children in the small cottage.
In early 1970s resumptions took place for the construction of the North Pine Dam. The cottage was offered to the then Pine Rivers Historical Society for removal but funding could not be obtained. The cottage fell into disrepair until 1989 when Dayboro Lions Club and Pine Rivers Shire Council funded a project for the re-location of the cottage into Dayboro. The building is now occupied by Hay Cottage Arts and Crafts Association Inc.