The Brisbane Courier of 29th December 1930 reported on the first glider camp to be held in Australia. It was held on Nugent’s property. The glider was towed by a horse to the launching point where it was then catapulted into the air. The launching crew provided tension for the rubber shock cord attached to the nose hook. The camp opened on Christmas Day and concluded on 28th December 1930. Members of the Q.C.A. (Milton) Glider Club and the Young Eagles (N. Wikner and Bert Lindner) carried out flights on gliders of their own construction.
In the lead-up to the camp the Brisbane Courier of 24th December 1930 reported “…The ground chosen at Dayboro is excellent for gliding purposes. From a hill some 200ft. high the ground slopes away in a nice even sweep to a stretch of flat country approximately one quarter mile in extent. With the wind blowing across this flat and getting a “kick-up” from the slope of the hill quite good gliding flights should be accomplished.” There is quite a detailed description of the launching process in this article.