F.J. (Fred) Skerman, Coach Builder & General Smith

F.J. (Fred) Skerman, Coach Builder & General Smith – 1909 (ca)

Frederick John Skerman opened a blacksmith about 1900 after operating at Samsonvale for a time.  He was joined by his brother John Hope Skerman and the business was known as Skerman Bros. Wheelwrights & Coachbuilders Terrors Creek.  By 1903 John Skerman had moved to Mooloolah and Fred carried on the business as F.J. Skerman Coach Builder & General Smith.

In late 1910 it was recommended that Fred move to a drier climate because of his rheumatism.  He purchased a farm near Kaimkillenbun and the family moved there early in 1911.  His house “Hillcrest”, built in 1905 near the cemetery, was purchased by the Presbyterian Church as a manse.  It is one of the oldest houses in the town.  Frank Hart purchased the blacksmith property and built a large residence adjacent to the blacksmith, later subdividing the property into 2 blocks. In 1914 the business was acquired by Ferdinand Schmidt from Laceys Creek and became known as F. Schmidt & Sons Coachbuilders.  The business had a number of owners over the years, the last being L.G. (Mick) McKenzie.