At the Pine Shire Council monthly meeting in March 1932, Dr Herbert Ashton-Shorter made application “…for the registration of premises to be built at Dayboro for a private lying-in home, which he desires to open…” Dayboro Private Hospital was established in a residence in Delaney Road (now 14 Delaney Road) which had been built by John Thomas Hall about 1929. Shortly thereafter John Hall and his wife Mary Ann (nee Dobbin) moved to the Dobbin family farm at Mt. Pleasant. It is believed the hospital operated from March 1932 to late 1939. In this photo the building can be seen at the top of the hill on the left side of Delaney Road.
Dr Ashton-Shorter had a busy time in March 1932 with three babies born within four days – Margaret Jean Reilly born 24th March, Leo Watson Arthur born 25th March and Bruce Henry Long born 28th March. The last child known to have been born in Dayboro Private Hospital was Denise Dorothy Wood born 13th November 1939. Dayboro District Historical Society has the names of 35 children born in the Dayboro Private Hospital.