Dayboro Service Station 1985

Dayboro Service Station – Golden Fleece – June 1985 John Edmonds was proprietor

Dayboro Service Station – Golden Fleece – June 1985
John Edmonds was proprietor

The Puma Service Station site has had many owners and proprietors over the years. About 1935 Charles McGahey opened a motor garage in the shed Bob Stephens had built to store the sawn timber from his sawmill. Bob Stephens retained ownership of that property but did sell the adjacent house to Charlie McGahey who in turn subdivided the block and sold the nextdoor house block to Henry William Chambers who built a residence and butcher shop.
Charlie McGahey ran the garage until 1944. It is not known who the next proprietor was but on 17th March 1947 the property was transferred to Harold Dowling and Donald Young, with Harold Dowling running the business. The Dowling family resided in the adjacent residence. The premises were transferred to H.C. Sleigh & Co. Ltd. (Golden Fleece) on 1st December 1961. Harold Dowling still ran the business until about 1964. Other lessees included Keith Kelly & Les Fealy, Gary Sellin, John Edmonds, Denis & Tina Fabian and others.
In recent times it has been a Matilda Service Station and is now a Puma Service Station.
This was the site of the original Silverwood Store and residence which were destroyed by fire on 26th May 1924.