The final leg of the railway from Enoggera to Dayboro was officially opened on 25th September 1920.
A public meeting of the settlers at Hamilton, Upper North Pine was held on 23rd September 1882 to discuss several proposed routes for a railway. A number of surveys were undertaken over the years and plans, specifications and books of reference for the proposed railway were finally tabled in Parliament on 5th November 1914. Construction from Enoggera to Rifle Range (Gaythorne) began in May 1915 being completed in February 1916. Because of war shortages work did not recommence until 1917 with Samford opening on 29 June 1918 and the line finally terminating at Dayboro on 25 September 1920.
With the introduction of road transport, passengers and freight declined and the line was closed on 1 July 1955, having operated for a total period of 34 years 8 months. The time that had elapsed from the public meeting of the settlers in 1882 until the actual completion of the line was 37 years 11 months with the town having three name changes in that time – Hamilton (1878), Terrors Creek (1892) and Dayboro (1917).
Dayboro Railway centenary celebrations will be held on Saturday 26th September 2020.