On 1st November 1969, following the unveiling of a monument to the late Senior Constable Colin Brown, the new QCWA Memorial Children’s Playground dedicated in memory of Misses E.J. & F.G. Hay was officially opened. Mrs. Kenny (president of the South Coast Division) performed the official ceremony.
The Mirror of 6th November 1969 reported “…It was the realisation of a cherished dream which had been in the hearts of these two grand old ladies many years previously. They had set the wheels in motion towards this goal, but unfortunately did not live to see its completion…” They had been foundation members of Dayboro QCWA when it was formed in 1927, 42 years previously.
“Hay Cottage”, the home in which Lil and Grace Hay lived all of their lives, is now on the site of the playground. There is a memorial plaque on a seat in front of the cottage.