Dayboro Café 1948

Dayboro Café 1948

Dayboro Café 1948

The present-day Dayboro Café was originally known as the Bluebird Café.  It was built for Mrs. Wilhelmina Heathwood and was opened at Easter 1937.  

The original Dayboro Café was situated at the corner of Williams and Bradley Streets where Craig Doyle Real Estate is now located.  Until the mid-1940s the building had been occupied by a grocery store. Kenneth Sydney William Roberts appeared on the Electoral Roll on 4th June 1946 as the proprietor of the Dayboro Café.  He was followed by the Franz family.  Sisters Lola and Mona Franz were enrolled on 30thJanuary 1948 as Proprietresses of the Dayboro Café.  

Earlier this year we had a visit to “Dayboro Cottage” by Helene Johnston (nee Anderson).  Helene has provided our Society with a number of photographs, one of them being the Dayboro Café in 1948.  As you can see, morning and afternoon teas were daintily served.  

Leaning against the pole is a billboard for the movies in the Dayboro Hall.