Dayboro Bowls Club c. 1947

Dayboro Bowls Club c. 1947

Dayboro Bowls Club c. 1947

A meeting was held on 15th March 1945 to form a bowls club in Dayboro and a committee elected. The first official meeting of the Dayboro & District Bowling Club was held on 22nd March 1945 with John Kelly President, Win Henzell and Rody Cruice Secretaries and George Currie Treasurer.
The first game on the green was held on Sunday 9th June 1946 although the Club was not officially opened until 21st December 1946. The Dayboro Times & Moreton Mail of 25 January 1947 records “…Prior to the commencement of the games all bowlers present lined up in front of the flag pole to witness the opening ceremony which was performed by Mr. Jim Hindman President of Q.B.A. In appropriate words and good wishes he unfurled the Union Jack and with the flag fluttering in the breeze, he officially declared the Club open…all spoke very highly of the condition of the sward, and it was generally agreed that the green keeper, Mr. Sid Barker, had done a magnificent job…”
This photograph was probably taken on 12 April 1947 as Gurney Henzell and Norm Lee can be identified on the far left. There is a photograph of those two gentleman playing bowls which has this date noted.