Dayboro Bowlers

Dayboro Bowlers Gurney Henzell & Norm Lee – 12th April 1947

Dayboro Bowlers Gurney Henzell & Norm Lee – 12th April 1947

The Dayboro & District Bowling Club was formed in February 1945. Gurney Henzell was one of the foundation members and his son, Win Henzell, was joint secretary with Rody Cruice. John Kelly was the foundation President and George Currie, the E.S. & A. Bank Manager, was the Treasurer.
John Kelly, in his President’s report to the first Annual General Meeting on 30th May 1946 stated:
“…It is just over twelve months since a well attended meeting in the Public Hall decided to form a Bowling Club & to go ahead & raise the money required to put down a green.
At that time labour was particularly scarce & a start was made on the green with voluntary labour. Although some good progress was made, it was found that only a very few members were able or willing to put in much time on the job, & it was decided to put Mr. Syd Barker on permanently & give him the job of building the green… Mr. Barker was put on in……….& has been on full time employment since working to Blue Prints supplied free of charge by the QBA… The playing surface is well grassed & almost ready for play & promises to be all that is desired…”
The first game of bowls was played on the new green on 8th June 1946 and the Club was officially opened on 21st December 1946.