Dayboro Basketball Team c. 1932

Dayboro Basketball Team c. 1932

Dayboro Basketball Team c. 1932

The Dayboro Ladies Basketball Club was formed in 1932. The Brisbane Courier of 6th September 1932 reported:
‘DAYBORO COURTS
At the weekend the officials of the Queensland Ladies’ Basket Ball Association, accompanied by Ascot and Coorparoo teams, visited the newly affiliated centre at Dayboro, where Mrs. McGregor-Lowndes officially opened the courts. The visitors played a demonstration game, after which the local players, who have chosen apricot and green for their colours, played a match against Coorparoo.”
The courts were in the school grounds. The team played in the annual Nine A-Side McGregor Lowndes-Devoy County Cup competition at Albert Park Brisbane against teams from West Moreton, Toowoomba, Darling Downs and North Coast. The Courier Mail of 27th April 1936 reported “…The local Basketball Club has re-elected Mrs. G. Cruice as president. Miss D. Raaen was appointed captain and secretary, and Miss. E. Nolan was treasurer…” The Courier Mail of 22nd May 1936 reported ‘…A basketball team from Mt. Mee defeated a local team at the Dayboro school grounds by 6 goals to 2…” They held their annual Sports Ball in August 1937 but no mention has been found of the team after this date.
Things do come around again and the present-day Dayboro Dodgers Netball Club was established in 1992, 60 years after the formation of the Dayboro Ladies’ Basketball Club.