Dayboro Ambulance 21st Anniversary – 1942

Dayboro Ambulance 21st Anniversary – 1942

In 1916 the residents of the Terrors Creek district were instrumental in forming a Sub-Centre of the Queensland Ambulance Transport Brigade Hospital, only 24 years after the Brigade was formed.  The Terrors Creek Sub-Centre opened in June 1916 with Senior Bearer Arthur John Tyson occupying a rented cottage which was used both as his residence and the Q.A.T.B.H. Sub-Centre.  The Sub-Centre was entirely dependent on voluntary contributors.  

In June 1917 the Advisory Committee began looking for suitable land on which to build a centre and residence however land was not acquired until June 1921 (now known as 58 McKenzie Street).  

Approval was given in December 1921 for Dayboro Sub-Centre to become a Branch Centre meaning Dayboro became a self-governing centre, taking responsibility for its own finances.  Tenders were called in February 1922 for the building of a centre and residence.  The tender of James Strain was accepted and the buildings were opened on 5 June 1922.  These buildings served as the Centre and Superintendent’s residence until December 1987. On 27 February 1988 the new Dayboro Ambulance Centre and residence at 140 McKenzie Street were opened “free of debt, a tremendous effort for a small community.