Photo courtesy of Gladys Mumford (deceased)
The new Crown Hotel was built in 1913. A horse and sulky are tied to the hitching rail. Timber guards can be seen around the three weeping figs (there were three originally) that were planted in front of the hotel in 1923 by Emma Herbert, wife of publican Frederick Herbert. She planted the trees because farmers would tie their horses to the hitching rails and the horses had no shade. The second building on the left is the original Crown Hotel, built as a store in 1887 by James Kinkead Berry. At the time James Berry eventually received a provisional liquor licence on 6th July 1892, he was also the postmaster and it was necessary to build a timber building attached to the hotel which was used as a store and post office. That store building had been removed at the time of this photograph – and no the original Crown Hotel did not burn down.
A gas lamp is on the corner of Williams and McKenzie Streets. The first building on the right was built by Robert Vellnagel in 1912 as a store. Wilcox Bros. Auctioneers sign is on the awning. The blacksmiths cannot be seen. The building with the high pitched roof would be the billiard saloon. The awning of Kelly’s store can be seen and further up the hill is A.J. McKenzie Snr’s store.