Terrors Creek Community Dip c. 1901 – February 2017 Dayboro Calendar Photo
The Terrors Creek Community Cattle Dip is in the foreground. The photograph was probably taken the day the dip was opened but that cannot be proved. The fledgling Terrors Creek township buildings can be seen in the background. The small building on the far bank of Terrors Creek is the Terrors Creek Creamery. Building commenced in 1896 and the Creamery opened early in 1897. It is the oldest building remaining in the town. “Dayboro Cottage” is the middle one of the three cottages on the right hand side of the main street. The building in the centre was Riek Bros. Store which now forms part of the ECU Australia premises.
Cattle ticks introduced into the Northern Territory from Indonesia towards the end of the 19th century rapidly spread south, causing Tick Fever, better known as “Redwater”. To protect the local cattle industry the dip was constructed between April and August 1901. The dip continued to be used by local farmers until the late 1960s.
See Marker 4 on the Dayboro Heritage Trail.