Can trucks and tanker at Dayboro Butter Factory

Can trucks and tanker at Dayboro Butter Factory – March 1965 3 months before the factory closed on 30th June 1965

Can trucks and tanker at Dayboro Butter Factory – March 1965 3 months before the factory closed on 30th June 1965

In January 1902, after the disastrous Federation drought, the Samson Vale Co-operative Butter Factory Company sold its business to Digby Frank Denham (who later became Premier of Queensland) and John Reid, two of the directors of the Silverwood Dairy Factory Company Limited. The Silverwood Company decided to build a new factory adjacent to the Terrors Creek Creamery. The new Silverwood Butter Factory was opened by Sir Herbert Chermside, the Governor of Queensland, on 14 September 1903. In 1906 there were 170 suppliers of cream. The company also built a general store in 1906.
In 1916 the farmers formed a co-operative known as the Terrors Creek-Samsonvale Co-operative Dairy Factory Company to take over the local business of the Silverwood Butter Factory. Silverwood retained ownership of the store and adjacent residence which were destroyed by fire in April 1924. The butter factory building sustained substantial damage in a fire in May 1929 but was able to keep operating.
The Butter Factory closed on 30th June 1965 as it was felt it had outlived its usefulness. Most of the factory’s 90 suppliers sent their milk direct to Brisbane, 26 miles (approx. 42 km) from Dayboro.