(left to right) Unknown, Conrad Buhmann (on horse), August Kuhn, Unknown, Joe Fisher, Herman Kuhn Snr., Charlie Williams Snr., Unknown, Ben French and Bob Strain
The Queensland Government Gazette of 26th July 1902 proclaimed an area of about 2 acres 2 roods to be a Reserve for a Stock Dip at Mt Pleasant. Reserve R899 was on a corner of Portion 45 Parish of Pine owned by Charles Thomas Williams in what is now Charles Road, Mt Pleasant.
In 1902 Percy Skerman from Samsonvale had patented a form of cage dip.
An extract from The Mt. Pleasant Story 1874-1985 states “…cattle ticks introduced into the Northern Territory from Indonesia towards the end of the century, spread into the area bringing with it the parasite responsible for Tick Fever, better known as “Redwater”. Once again the herds were almost wiped out. In an effort to control the tick population a cage dip was built on the Dip reserve. This was a slow and tiresome job as each beast had to be put into a wooden crate and lowered into a pit full of dip until the beast was submerged and then raised out of the dip. This lowering and raising was done by a horse and “dummy”. The horse was on the end of a shaft which was attached to an axle which drove the “dummy”.”