C.E.L. Camp Bradley Street 1936

C.E.L. Camp Bradley Street 1936

C.E.L. Camp Bradley Street 1936

It is believed that this was the camp for the City Electric Light (CEL) Company when electricity was being installed in Dayboro in 1936. Helene Johnston (nee Anderson), who provided the photograph in May 2018, recalls “the camp was just past Morris Street and they had the local rodeo and campdrafting in that paddock, we could walk over the road to it.” The horse in the photograph just seems to be out for a stroll on its own. Electricity was turned on in Dayboro on Saturday 12th September 1936 with about 30 houses receiving power. The Sunday Mail of 13th September reported “DAYBORO, Saturday – Dayboro residents read by the aid of electric light in their homes for the first time tonight, the City Electric Light Company’s extension having been switched on at 2.30 o’clock this afternoon…the first public function to be held under electric light in Dayboro was the annual smoke concert of the Dayboro Rifle Club tonight.” The first Dayboro Rodeo was held on Boxing Day (26th December) 1938.