The Moreton Mail of 16th August 1935 reported that the Pine Shire Council at its monthly meeting on 12th August the Overseer reported “…Laceys Creek road – scarified and graded from Dayboro to Wirth’s property. Cost £24/14/-. Councillor Long and self inspected the top end of the road and arranged for two days with truck to fill the worst of the bog holes between Krumbach’s corner and Kerwitz’s property …It is recommended that W. Wirth be left on this road for about three weeks to cut off water and fill ruts where necessary…”
Bill Wirth lived at “Krumbach’s corner”, now the corner of Laceys Creek and Costelloe Roads. He enlisted for service in World War One but whilst at the army camp at Lytton he contracted polio (no vaccinations then) and was hospitalised. He was left with a bad limp. He worked for the Council until June 1945.
The other man in the photo is unknown. At times local farmers, with their vehicles or horse teams, were engaged on a day labour basis to work on the roads.
It was in 1955 that Dr Jonas Salk and his research team at the University of Pittsburgh developed the first polio vaccine.