Adsett’s Blacksmith Shop c. 1916

1917 ca. Charles Adsett's blacksmith shop Dayboro

Adsett’s Blacksmith Shop c. 1916
(Cnr Williams & Bradley Streets)

A newspaper article dated 25th June 1887 stated that James Berry would give an allotment rent free to any person who wished to start a saddlery or a blacksmith and wheelwright.  Charles Adsett may well have taken up that offer as he is listed in the 1892 Queensland Post Office Directory as a blacksmith at Hamilton (surname shown as Addzett) but he was possibly in business prior to that date.  When James Berry subdivided Portion 1 Parish of Samsonvale into nine blocks of varying sizes in 1898, a small one acre block was transferred to Charles Adsett.  His blacksmith shop was on the corner of what are now Williams and Bradley Streets.  Charles Adsett retained ownership of this property until 1 February 1918 when it was transferred to Rosa Ann Hepburn, wife of publican Francis Hepburn.  In 1922 the property was subdivided into 7 blocks.

Charles Adsett died on 17th July 1921 and is buried in Dayboro Cemetery.