The Brisbane Courier of 27th October 1877 records “…The new school at Terrors Creek is finished. No expense has been spared to make the interior everything that could be desired…” The school was on a rise a little distance from the North Pine River crossing which was known as Hell Hole. The crossing was in the vicinity of today’s John McKenzie Bridge.
In August 1879 a cyclone caused damage to the school residence when “A big-fellow tree thrust its head through the roof and found temporary shelter.” The repairs cost £45 [$90], a large proportion of which would have been borne by the School Committee. Tenders were eventually called in May 1889 for the construction of a new residence for the teacher. This residence was relocated when the new school was built in the township on “Heathwood’s Hill” and opened on 25th June 1920.